Friday, January 29, 2010

Commenting on comments

I find it rather humorous that I could get under someone's skin.

An anonymous reader took me up on my offer to comment the other day, and my emotions were conflicted when I read his/her thoughts. I was pleased because it means I'm not just whistling in the wind -- someone is actually reading. I was also diappointed because this poor soul seemed to think I was a complete dweeb while simultaneously making my point for me.

I guess it should be expected. People who post on sites like this do so primarily because they're ticked off: ticked at the Giants, at me, at the price of gas, or even the inordiante amount of air time given to Ryan Seacrest. This isn't the place where you hear much "Love your blog, Dude!" I gotta admit, I started this enterprise because Giants management made me so angry on such a regular basis that I needed a mechanism to vent, and this blog is my way of avoiding the need to scale a clock tower with a deer rifle.

It's not my intent to answer every Pollyanna Giants fan who doesn't understand why the addition of DeRosa and Huff won't lead to a 162-0 mark. But the comments of this poor, lost soul actually forced me to sit down and review my position. Am I being too harsh on the Giants. Is my ire at the direction of this team misplaced?

Uh, not even close.

It's hard to take too seriously someone who immediately launches into the theory that you can't make a decent argument while attempting to be, at least somewhat, amusing. The hosts and crews of both "P.T.I." and "Around the Horn" would be rolling drunks for nickels were that the case. Although, I'll admit, Tony Kornheiser really isn't funny.

But here's what got to me. From my new BFF:

"The Giants are better off this year than last. What the Giant fan needs to remember is, this is a franchise that built a ballpark that is pitcher friendly. Thus they have drafted primetime pitchers and rely on free agents to fill out the lineup."

And that's worked out how, exactly?  The reader made my point. Look at the system, and look what that system has brought forth.

The primetime pitchers they drafted are Lincecum, Cain, and Wilson. Sanchez is a work in progress. No one else is proven. But if you evaluate pitching then you have to look at the whole picture. Yes, Timmy and Matt are keepers. But this is a staff that has also "featured" guys like Randy Johnson, Matt Morris, Brett Tomko, Dustin Hermanson, Armando Benitez, Mike Stanton and Jeff Fassero from the FA pile in recent years. Stellar draftees include future HOFers like Kevin Correia, Brad Henessey and Jack Taschner. Pardon me if I fail to genuflect. While the Giants have a handfull of good or promising arms right now, the full accounting of Sabean's tenure is checkered at best.

And those FAs that "fill out the line-up"? Repeat after me: Ryan Klesko, Todd Greene, Steve Finley, Edgardo Alfonzo...and now Edgar Renteria, Aaron Rowand, Mark DeRosa, Aubrey Huff. Holy pennant, Batman! Puh-leeze.

"True Sabean is not the sharpest GM on the planet and he has made some bad moves. He has also made some great moves. Making him an average GM."

After 13 years, average ain't cutting it. No GM in baseball has been allowed that long a tenture with so little to show for it. But let's be fair, that's exactly what Sabean is shooting for. It's all about being "competitive", which has translated to fielding a team that's just good enough to keep fans coming through the turnstiles until Labor Day while not spending too much jack.

I compare Sabean to Fresno State football coach Pat Hill, who just got a contract extension despite a full decade on the job without so much as a single conference championship. Essentially what the powers that be are saying is that "average" is good enough. Bosie State and Nevada will always clean your clock, you'll get an invite to a third-tier bowl game (and lose), and that's just peachy.

If that's good enough for you, fine. Strap on a Timex, pour a class of Two Buck Chuck, call up your favorite squeeze (she's a "5" on a 1-10 scale), and speed off to dinner at Tahoe Joe's in your 2003 Taurus. I'm no longer willing to settle. Give me the Rolex, some Cristal, a new BMW, reservations at Spago and a supermodel girlfriend...and she'd better be willing to put out. I've paid my dues.

It's a valid point that the Giants play in a pitcher's park. That doesn't mean you ignore the offense. The object of the game is still to score runs, and the best pitching staff on the globe won't win you a 0-0 game. This is a team more in need of balance that Karl Wallenda, and Plan B free agents ain't the answer.

My admirer's ultimate point is that the 2010 Giants are better than the 2009 version, and the NL West is winnable. Maybe so, but this can't be about making a one-season run in a weak division. The Giants were "in contention" last year, but they didn't do a very good job of setting themsleves up for the long haul -- which is why we're back here again this year. Same stuff, different year.

Making marginal improvements to a flawed team does little when the organization is in need of major changes. In the Giants' case, they need not only to change personnel but philosophy.

I go back to Einstein's comment about insanity. The Giants have a system that clearly hasn't worked, at least not since 1954. Saying that the key to making something that doesn't work finally do so is just giving it one more shot is the height of stupidity. It's time to try something else.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Gentle Ranter, Unless I have missed something the Giants are a business and like any business they are dependent on a budget. It would be great to be like the Yankees who seem to have an unlimited budget. An unlimited budget makes Brian Cashman a genius GM and "small" market GMs like Sabean a failuremuch of the time. Don't get me wrong. I am not a big fan of Sabean and he is at best average as a GM. However I do feel he is trying to build the best team he can with the tools he is given. Do you really think a free agent slugger is going to want to play in AT&T park for less pay than in a hitters park. Common sense, ego and greed all say no. All I want to see is improvement and this team is an improvement over the 09 team just as that team was an improvement, 12 wins, over the 08 team. Unless you are like the Yankees and Red Sox who are able to buy to fill their holes your team is destined to ebb and flow from good to bad. I remember the second place finishes in the 60s and the 70 playoff team. I lived through the mediocre 70s and 80s prior to Will Clarks arrival. The lousy early 90s teams prior to Bonds. All part of the ebb and flow. They are on the upswing again and yes they need hitters just like every other team. But they do have great pitching that fits the ballpark. Enjoy the ride. They will be better this year and should make the playoffs. Or if you are as impatient as you seem. Become a Yankees or Red Sox fan. That way you don't have to be realistic and loyalty comes easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "In the Giants case, they need not only to change personnel but philosophy."

    IMO, the Brian Sabean and the Giants have changed philosophy. The long term plan is to build from the ground up, scouting, the draft, international market, farm system. That includes both pitching and position players. They recognized that Dick Tidrow, while he is gifted at evaluating pitching talent, had done a poor job of drafting and signing position talent. That's why they moved him upstairs and brought in John Barr to be the Scouting Director and run the drafts. Their international signings have been slightly tilted toward position talent.

    You might say that Pablo Sandoval is a fluke, but the position talent currently in the farm system is noticeably better than it has been in the past. It's still too early to judge the results of that, but I believe that Pablo is the first wave of a rising tide of position talent that will be arriving over the next 2-3 years.

    I know a lot of Giants fans are fretting that the pitching will be gone by the time the position talent matures, but that is not a given, and there is more pitching talent in the pipeline just in case.

    The last several years have been greatly frustrating for Giants fans, but with a core of young pitchers plus Pablo Sandoval, plus a very good farm system they are finally as well positioned for the future as any team in baseball. Their record in 2010 may not be better than last year, or even maybe not as good, but this team is going to get a lot better and a lot younger over the next 2-3 seasons.

    ReplyDelete

Think I'm right? Think I'm crazy? Got different slant on things? Bring it on!